Friday, February 27, 2009

Dust

Ash Wednesday always makes me feel somewhat useless. I see the ashes on my forehead all day long and am continually reminded that from dust I came and to dust I will return. My initial thought is that dust is the layer of grime people never want in their house. But then I’m reminded that dust can also be a blessing. “May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.” If I could choose what kind of dust I want to be, I would choose to be the dust that Jesus stirs up as he walks and teaches.

But then, I guess I can choose. I can choose whether I want to settle or be stirred up by my Rabbi. However it is a continual choice I need to make. For even the dust that gets stirred up settles eventually. Then I need to make a choice again.
Settle or be stirred.

I know what I want to choose. What will you choose?